Saturday, April 12, 2008

Antietam Battlefield

The Antietam Battlefield, site of the bloodiest one-day battle of the Civil War, is less than 30 minutes from my house, yet I had never been there. Today I took a little field trip with my new camera to combine my interest in history with my interest in photography. Here are some of the results.



Near the Visitor Center:







Mumma Farm:





Burnside Bridge:





One of the MS Walks held in Maryland today was right on the grounds of the Antietam Battlefield:



Holding an event that battles a disease on the site of a battle to save our country provides an interesting synergy.

2 comments:

velvet said...

These are really inspiring shots. Very well done and from a very compelling location. Very nice!

Bernie said...

Thanks. It turns out this was the first battle in which photography of actual warfare was done. The photos were taken two days after the battle and included many shots of dead soldiers. Prior to this, photos were usually posed or staged. The real horror of war was brought to life by the two photographers who took the pictures.