Saturday, June 14, 2008

Balloon Race

I was digging around some boxes of old photos today and found these from either 1989 or 1990. I had been invited to participate in the Preakness Balloon Race, one of many events held during the week leading up to the middle gem of the Triple Crown in Baltimore.



The "race" is more about nice visuals than any real competition. It is a "hare and hound" race; the hare balloon lifts off first, then the hound balloons sort of chase it. Whichever balloon lands closest to hare balloon is declared the winner. The balloons lift off from a park and fly over residential areas. It's quite a site!





The balloons in this event usually carry a pilot and either 2 or 3 of the balloon's corporate sponsors or a couple of celebrities. I was an alleged celebrity that year. Here is a shot of the pilot:



I got the invitation just two days before the event, which means I didn't have time to talk myself out of it. I enjoyed the ride and the opportunity to take these unique photos, but I don't think I'd do it again. The thought of three men in a large wicker basket 400 feet above the ground messes with my sense of logic and safety.



3 comments:

Steve Buser said...

Okay, I am putting a balloon race on my bucket list.

Bernie said...

Absolutely worth it. And it goes without saying, take your camera! And if you do it in N.O., try to fly over Lakeview and get some good aerials of the vacant-lot dotted landscape around my sister's house on Milne.

Jim Klenke said...

Great pics and awesome view.